My Photo
Name:
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada

Blissfully married (second try - picked a younger, quirkier one this time), left-wing (but raised in Alberta so I lean a little to the right at times), somewhat opinionated (hah!) mom to two daughters, Mitchie and Nyckee, Ima to Chaeli and Carson.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

A day in the life ... a Thursday

6:20: Caddy jumps up on the pillow beside me. He knows the radio will come on at 6:30 and he always beats it by a few minutes. He wakes me up every day, just before Harry Michael Dekker on 1050 CJNB does (Harry lives in my old house on Martin Crescent, oddly enough), and I get a nice couple of nuzzles while I'm still half asleep.
6:30: The radio comes on, Harry tells me that Lorne Calvert (my beloved, but former, NDP Premier) is stepping down today. I'm disappointed. He's a sweetheart and I'll miss him. Charlotte (to my right) stretches and Puddy (at the bottom of the bed with Smokey) grunts. I'm very important, and when I wake up everybody else does, too. I lay there for a few minutes, listening to the news and soon I have three cats and two dogs standing over me, waiting patiently.
6:40: I announce it's time to get up, everybody jumps off the bed and runs to the kitchen ahead of me. Let the dogs out, gather the dishes, get the food ready, let the dogs back in. Everyone's favorite time of the day.
7:00: Turn on Andre's lights, turn on the TV (Canada AM, even though Seamus drives me crazy every single day), get the newspaper, turn on the computer, put on the coffee, jump in the shower.
7:20: Give Andre some salad, a few tasty superworms, bring the newspaper and coffee and visit with him while he eats. Watch a bit of the news, check out Facebook and email, start getting ready for work.
8:20: Let the dogs out and in again, head to work.
8:30-12 noon: Boss' day. Have a bit of a kerfuffle with the new girl about what to do for boss' day (we say do nothing -- it's the long-standing, well-accepted custom -- but she insists something must be done!), get some work done, coffee break (tea, actually) at 10:30, do some more work, some visiting, do some damage control on the boss' day issue, head home for lunch.
12-12:50: Nyk brings the kids over for lunch. Chaeli and I give Andre some crickets in his big see-through rubbermaid container -- too many crix, but he eats as many as he can catch! -- Mr X calls (he's in Alberta), Nyk takes Chaeli to school, I go back to work.
1pm - 5pm: Unsuccessful on the damage-control. New girl decided to buy stuff for boss' day after all, kerfuffle escalates. Everyone is unhappy, but we concede and sign the damn card and each pitch in a couple of bucks anyway. Open a couple of new files, go for coffee at 3:30, see a couple of clients, make a few phone calls. Order chinese for pickup, head for home.
5:15: Come home to a very warm, furry welcome. Lots of hugs and kisses, everyone is so happy to see me, the most beloved, home again. Go out with the dogs for awhile, run around, talk to the neighbour girl for a few minutes. Back inside, play some tunes on my ipod (Kid Rock, Cocky album), sit at the table with my ginger beef and rice and surf on the laptop. Call Nyk -- she's hilarious on Facebook today, silly silly girl. Look at Mandy's beautiful Ottawa pics, read email from my sis, check a couple of message boards. Wonder why someone I invited to be my friend on FB (I rarely invite for fear of rejection!) hasn't replied yet.
6:00: Take the dogs for a ride to Sobey's. Just need a couple of things: yogurt and granola for me, orange cupcakes (with bats!) for Chaeli because I promised, dandelion leaves, red and green peppers, squash for Andre. Forgot to buy Christmas oranges.
6:20: Back home, put some tunes on again, empty the dishwasher, make Andre's salad (enough for a few days) let Andre run around the bathroom for awhile, put him in the bath, bring the laptop so I can surf while he swims, (it should be said that dragons are very high-maintenance), dry him off, put him back in his tank, wait for Nyk to come over, turn off Andre's lights when he tucks in for the night.
8:00: Nyk arrives right on time, we take Charlotte and go for our evening walk. It's very dark these days, so we walk down mainstreet where its well-lit. Charlotte poops twice tonight and I just took one bag along. Crisis! I have kleenex in my pocket so I can at least move the second poo off the sidewalk. I feel awful, though. From now on, I'll be sure to take two bags for poo. (They are biodegradable -- it's okay!)
9:00: Mr X calls as soon as we walk in the door, Nyk heads home, I talk to Mr X for awhile, look up some stuff for him online, we are both a little mushy and missing each other today. I like it.
10:00: Turn on the news, surf again for a bit, start getting ready for bed.
10:30: Go out with the dogs, fill a dish for the cats, wash up, head to bed to read The Last Lecture -- my first book-club book and a very good read, everyone hops up on the bed with me. Can hardly believe tomorrow is Friday already!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it --- sounds like a very productive day. haha! I'm inspired!
I think I am going to do a-day-in-the-life of...one of these days for my Visual Journal I have to be doing for my art class. I never know what to do in it (so needless to say my "weekly" entries are becoming quick-let's-do-two-weeks worth of work before every class!!)
You gave me a fabulous idea! ;-p
Love ya,
Mandy

6:24 PM  
Blogger ruthieB said...

Yeay! Doooo it! I'm quite sure a day in your life would be quite a lot more fascinating than mine!
Thanks for reading (and commenting)!
Love ya!

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home