My Photo
Name:
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada

Blissfully married (second try - picked a younger, quirkier one this time), left-wing (but raised in Alberta so I lean a little to the right at times), somewhat opinionated (hah!) mom to two daughters, Mitchie and Nyckee, Ima to Chaeli and Carson.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Mitchie's Birthday slash Election Day

Today celebrates two of my favorite things -- my oldest daughter, Michelle, and a federal election.

Oh, how I love elections. I even love the never-ending American election. I love the polls, the debates, the ridiculously impossible-to-carry-out promises, even the negative ads (because where else are you going to find out how many times a candidate has voted against your pet issue?). I subscribe to Time and MacLeans just so I can read copious amounts of political drivel that no one else I know cares about.

It's blissfully distracting this year, more than ever, to pick my guy and watch endless hours of results tonight to see how he does. In the past couple of weeks the only TV I have been able to watch is news and football. Since Emily was killed, (and this perplexes even me -- can my sisters relate at all?) sitcoms, movies, even Heroes ( and I loved the previous seasons), seem uninteresting and agonizingly trivial. I can't be bothered to commit myself to get involved in anyone else's issues, especially not pretend people on TV. Perhaps it's because my emotions have been completely tapped out since September 27th and What Matters and What Doesn't Matter have never been so conspicuous.

Mitchie voted with me after work -- Nyk and Miles voted earlier-- (go Orange!) and now she and Mark are watching movies for her birthday. I bought her a cake for her birthday and she gave me a bottle of Gibsons for watching her Gibsyn over the weekend. Yum, lucky me.

So, Mitchie is now 27. I remember very well the day she was born and I could tell stories all night of the fun we have shared over the years. I'm just SO happy that she lives here and I can see her every day. I'm happy that, in spite of me and my bumbling parenting through the years, she has turned out to be a clever, hard-working, responsible, fun, caring young woman.

What matters and what doesn't matter...nothing matters more than family and I am so very thankful for mine.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I can so definitely relate! That moment of hearing about the premature, sudden ending of Emily's life just crystalized and separated what is important from what is trivial, as you said.
There's much less thinking about 'someday I will...' and being half-present. Life is Hard. It's unpredictable. The world is not Disneyland, meant for our entertainment. We need to be there for the people we care about, and follow thru on things we truly believe.
As for the elections, I've had it up to my eyeballs with the american hype and craziness. I REALLY wanted Dion to win ours, altho it was not a surprise when he didn't b/c he's not a macho, posturing, charismatic guy, and after all, that seems to be what matters.
Thanks for this blog, sis. I

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home