My Photo
Name:
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada

Blissfully married (second try - picked a younger, quirkier one this time), left-wing (but raised in Alberta so I lean a little to the right at times), somewhat opinionated (hah!) mom to two daughters, Mitchie and Nyckee, Ima to Chaeli and Carson.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

I went to sleep at 9:30 last night

And that's not the worst of it: I actually went to bed at about 9:00, read for a bit and totally fell asleep by 9:30. Slept like Rip Van until 6:30am when the radio came on. What's up with that? I don't actually ever DO anything -- how can I possibly be so sleepy?

I feel like a million bucks today, though. I must have needed it. I just might do it again tonight. We'll see how Obama is doing at 9, then I'll decide if my book and pillow will trump the most important election outcome in decades. Right now my money is on the book.

Chaeli came home from her monthly visit with her other dad (well, to my house, actually) last night. Right after she got here she found one of her toys -- a small plastic monster that had a blue light in his eye -- chewed up by a dog or dogs (could have been any of them or all of them). She was really tired, actually sleeping when she got here, so it was a bit of a bigger deal than it probably should have been since she hasn't ever liked that toy since the first day she saw it. Right away she figured out that I should buy her a new one. I needed to take her home anyway, so it seemed like a good way to get her in my car to go home -- a quick stop at Walmart to pick up a new monster.

Somewhere on the 5-minute drive to the store, the need for a replacement monster turned into the need for a new PetShop toy -- Chaeli's favorite collectable toys. That was okay with me; monsters are overrated. It didn't take long to pick the one she wanted because it was one of the few she doesn't already have. When we were waiting in the lineup to pay, a nice lady in front of us turned around and commented on cute, adorable, sweet Chaeli's cool new toy.

Chaeli gave her the raspberry. pppppffffftttt. We (nice lady and me) were like, wha?

Chaeli said, "I spit at her. She wanted to take my toy and give it to her girl." (Hey, not my kid. Just here with her. I don't teach her this stuff. heh) It was actually kind of hilarious. It sounds awful, but it wasn't. It was funny in a Coen Brothers kind of way because she's usually so sweet and gentle and smiley. We talked about it all the way home, how it wasn't nice to spit and why we don't spit at other people. She understood, she agreed, and as we were going into her house she decided it was only okay to spit at people outside.

Then I knew where it came from. Pre-school. Pirates in the playground. Monsters under the slides. Chaeli Power. Hammers in pockets (fake hammers)to "hit" the boys. Boys. I shiver at the thought of small boys in playgrounds. But I think she will be able to hold her own. Being sweet and smiley isn't always all it's cracked up to be. You have to have a little bit of chutzpa when the occasion calls for it, or the bullies will win. She's going to be okay, and I'm glad she has a bit of a feisty edge when she needs it. I just hope the nice lady understands it was nothing personal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home