My Photo
Name:
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada

Blissfully married (second try - picked a younger, quirkier one this time), left-wing (but raised in Alberta so I lean a little to the right at times), somewhat opinionated (hah!) mom to two daughters, Mitchie and Nyckee, Ima to Chaeli and Carson.

Sunday, March 01, 2009

A whole new look at food

I haven't said much about it to anyone because I wanted to see how it would go, but two months in I have to say it's going very well so far.

I have gradually been cutting meat products out of my life, ending with mostly just seafood/salmon at the end of last year. Since the New Year, I have been completely meat-free, though I still eat dairy and eggs. I have discovered, and re-discovered, all kinds of delicious alternatives. Mr X works out of town most of the time so I've been free to try anything I want without anyone "ewwwwwing" me. Actually, Mr X has been very supportive when he is home and has even tried a few of my concoctions. Eating out isn't a concern for me, since I have only eaten out once in 2 months, hahaa, and it was easy to find a yummy meatless dish even at Humpty's.

I feel absolutely fantastic -- lots of energy and I never feel hungry (or too stuffed) after a meal, and I'm having so much fun in the kitchen. I expect to miss turkey and shrimp someday, but it hasn't happened yet. I'm too busy having fun deciding what to cook next from my new selection of recipes (online and actual cookbooks).

Some of my faves:
-Lentils (cooked with lots of onion, garlic and spices, served on brown rice with canned diced tomatoes)
-Baked potato smothered with canned beans, sour cream and steamed broccoli
-Quinoa, stir-fried in olive oil with loads of veggies
-Pasta, pasta, pasta, in cream sauce, tomato sauce, sauted in olive oil with herbs and parmesan, etc., etc., etc.
-Avocados. Oh, my. I forgot how much I love avocado.
-Yves garden veggie burgers, tacos made with Schneiders meatless ground "beef"
-Yogurt mixed with muesli -- so glad I have rekindled my love of the yog
-Portabello mushrooms in pretty much everything
-Bread dipped in olive oil and balsamic vinegar
-Trail mix with almonds and dried fruit

This is my new favorite recipe, which I made for the first time tonight. Brent is going to love this one:
Roasted Vegetable Ratatouille with Pasta
Ingredients:
1 chopped onion
1 diced Sicilian eggplant
4 cups diced zucchini
1 diced red pepper
3-4 cups quartered plum tomatoes
4 cloves chopped garlic
3 tbsp chopped fresh basil
2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
salt and pepper
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1/3 cup olive oil
1 lb penne pasta
1/4 cup chopped parsley
grated pecorino/parmesan cheese

-Preheat oven to 400
-Combine all vegetables, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
-Whisk together mustard and oil and toss with vegetables.
-Spread vegetables on a large baking pan and bake for 50 minutes, stirring after 30 minutes, until vegetables are tender and slightly browned but not soupy.
-Meanwhile, cook penne, reserving a little cooking water.
-Toss pasta with vegetable mixture, thinning with reserved water if needed.
-Add parsley and sprinkle with cheese.

I didn't have any zucchini on hand (but it kills me that I DID have eggplant on hand, hah) so I used diced portabello mushrooms instead. I also threw in a bunch of baby carrots because I love roasted carrots. Honestly, this is SO good.


So, I'm open to suggestions from you seasoned vegetarians out there...Mandy? :D

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to suggest Mandy. I am a little out of practise since she left home but this recipe sounds wonderful!! DJ

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home