My Photo
Name:
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada

Blissfully married (second try - picked a younger, quirkier one this time), left-wing (but raised in Alberta so I lean a little to the right at times), somewhat opinionated (hah!) mom to two daughters, Mitchie and Nyckee, Ima to Chaeli and Carson.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

If I had a million dollars, Nyk would have a new car

Well, I survived the weekend quite nicely. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, actually. I woke up with the Mother of All Colds on Saturday morning but I went anyway. I'd already cancelled a couple of times and I thought (edited because I'm a weirdo) might have a stroke if I missed again. I've probably given her a cold now, but she was quite gracious and hardly marytr-ous about it having me hork and sniffle in her house all weekend.

I drove 12 hours and visited about 24 hours (including sleeping time), so it wasn't too agonizing. My biggest faux pas of the weekend was probably when I snorted out loud when the pastor was doing his big prayer at church and he prayed for Stephen Harper to have the strength to continue to fight the good fight. I think I may have made the sound morph into a cough in my snotty kleenex in time -- perhaps no one was the wiser. I think it's safe to say I was the only person in the room who has ever voted Liberal. Mr. X thinks I should have stood up and objected or at least called bullshit. But I didn't. That would have been rude.

On the way home I listened to my favorite CD over and over again (a funky bluegrassey band called Little Big Town) and pondered such mysteries as:
1. The sun is 93 million miles away, give or take a few thousand miles, and has the amazing power to make a sidewalk hot enough to fry an egg, even in Northern Canada, yet a little cloud passing in front of said sun can cause a moment of coolness. What gives with that?
2. In Canada, it's legal for a person, even a very young person, to walk into a video store and purchase a video of people duct-taping and kicking (almost to death) a homeless person, just for the fun of it. Hell, it's even legal for people to videotape and sell such videos, just for the fun of it, and presumably the profit. Apparently, at the end of the video the commentator invites people to send in their own videos of beating up innocent, vulnerable people. How can this be? Why are we not protesting this? Bum Fights. Right. Good idea, squirrel.
3. Driving from Saskatchewan to Alberta for a long weekend is an uncommon thing to do. Driving from Alberta to Saskatchewan for a long weekend is a very, very common thing to do. There was almost no one, save me and a few semis, heading west on Saturday, but every single one of the thousands of people who leave Saskatch to live in Alberta each year were coming home to visit the family for the long weekend. It was so bizarre.

Yeah, so the title of my post today. Poor Nyk. Her car is crapping out yet again. I feel so bad for her, but I feel so helpless. I wish, more than anything, that I could afford to buy my kids out of all of their problems. I know it's good for them to take care of themselves, but it's so hard to not be able to make everything easy for them. She works so hard at her job for just enough money to live on, hauls her little girl around at 7 in the morning to daycare every single day, and her car has brakes that aren't reliable. We've fixed them before, but they're still not right. Winter is just around the corner, so we're going to have to do something. I wish the something was a brand new car, but short of a lottery win it's not going to happen. Poor Nyk. She amazes me sometimes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home