My Photo
Name:
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada

Blissfully married (second try - picked a younger, quirkier one this time), left-wing (but raised in Alberta so I lean a little to the right at times), somewhat opinionated (hah!) mom to two daughters, Mitchie and Nyckee, Ima to Chaeli and Carson.

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Storm of the Century

Happy Birthday to my slightly older sister today!

Well, we're in blizzard hell here in Nowhere, Saskatch, today. It would all be very exciting if I was actually allowed to stay home and watch it from the window. However, I have no excuse to not go outside other than an intense dislike for 90 km/hr wind gusts, so I actually did go to work today. The storm has been dubbed The Blizzard of 2007 which is really not so impressive considering 2007 is but 10 days old; not too much to compare it with so far.

Mr X was unable to go to work because every single highway in the vicinity was closed last night and all day today and he has to drive 45 minutes to work, so he was in charge of Snow Clearing and Chauffering. He is the master of both, as it turns out.

I had the most unpleasant conversation at work this morning. I'm still pissed off. Somehow we started discussing the contribution of First Nations people to our society. It went from ugly to pukeworthy in about 3 sentences. I shouldn't be surprised -- it's certainly not the first time such things have come up in my office. But this time someone actually said, "Just think what's going to happen in a few years. They are mulitiplying far faster than we are and soon there will be more of them than there are of us. What if they start running for office and voting for each other -- they'll be running the country! Then where will we be?!" That's a paraphrase because my head was exploding and I probably don't remember it exactly. I asked her if she'd ever heard of apartheid. I said lots of other things, too. Can you even imagine living with that kind of prejudice around you every single day? Good grief. It makes me sick. The thing is, I really like the woman who was saying those things. She's generally an open-minded, decent woman. That almost makes it worse. Gah. So depressing.







1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Auntie Ruth - hope you don't mind...mom was telling me about your blog so I asked her to forward the link on to me. Wow - love it. I read the whole thing in one go. I'm inspired by many of the things you've had to say. This one will be added to my 'favorites' list. Say hi to the girlies (and your hubby) for me. Hope to see you all again before Peter and I make the big trek east...
Love,
Mandy

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home