My Photo
Name:
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada

Blissfully married (second try - picked a younger, quirkier one this time), left-wing (but raised in Alberta so I lean a little to the right at times), somewhat opinionated (hah!) mom to two daughters, Mitchie and Nyckee, Ima to Chaeli and Carson.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Godspeed, Mary Martin

Heaven is now a little brighter because the earth has lost a ray of sunshine. They buried Mary Martin in a little graveyard in the countryside in Alberta today.

Mary spent almost 90 years here, giving, laughing, loving, praying; making a difference in the lives she touched. Mary was a cousin of my dad and a best friend to my mom. When I was a child we lived, for a time, across the street from Mary. I loved to go over to her house and visit with her while we worked in the kitchen. I banged on her piano in the basement and she'd tell me how nice I played, even though it must have driven her nearly batty. I remember watching her while she worked in her home -- I was in awe of Mary. Her voice, especially her laughter, was like music. She made everything fun and she cared so, so much. When one of my brothers had a run-in with the law in his teens, it was to Mary's home that he went to work out his problems. Mom says that Mary has had a special place in her heart for him since that crazy time that she helped him through.

Mary's only claim to fame, that I can think of, is that she was once the mother-in-law of Tantoo Cardinal, an actress who was in Legends of the Fall, Dances with Wolves, and who-knows-what-else. I don't suppose fame mattered much to Mary, though. Her family mattered. Her faith mattered. Her friends mattered. She often told me, "I've known your mom since she was 17 years old. We've been friends practically our whole lives." Just imagine, knowing someone for so many years, through the births of their children and grandchildren, the deaths of their husbands and the loss of so many, many friends. They had a car accident on Whyte Avenue in Edmonton a couple of years ago, Mary driving, that bumped them up a bit, but left them even closer, I believe. I think they actually enjoyed the adventure.

I moved away from Edmonton about 7 years ago and nearly every time I went back I'd see Mary at our old church. She'd worm her way through the pews to come give me a hug and tell me how good it was to see me again. She had such a way of making me feel like I was her very favorite person. I'm sure she made a lot of people feel that way. As soon as I'd walk through the doors I'd look for Mary. She never failed to melt my heart. When I was a kid she seemed bigger than life, but she was a tiny little woman at the end. I've wondered for years how it would feel when she died. How bizarre to think that I'll never see her again.

But what a wonderful life. What a wonderful woman. Goodbye Mary Martin. I'll miss you.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, RB. I'm very sorry that your family has lost such a dear friend. She sounds like a wonderful woman. Take care.

3:32 PM  
Blogger SB said...

What a wonderful tribute. I can picture exactly the type of woman she must've been, and those memories will always be with you.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Lao Lao said...

Wow Ruthie...I didn't know Mary had left. I thought she'd be here forever, or at least until she was 100! She was so Alive!
Loved the tribute. I didn't know her that well, but always loved visiting her home, and Carol was very kind to me.
Keep up the great blog! It's like a Maeve Binchy book--I can't stop reading it.
(Have you seen Circle of Friends? it's great) Love, yr sis

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home