My Photo
Name:
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada

Blissfully married (second try - picked a younger, quirkier one this time), left-wing (but raised in Alberta so I lean a little to the right at times), somewhat opinionated (hah!) mom to two daughters, Mitchie and Nyckee, Ima to Chaeli and Carson.

Friday, November 03, 2006

Let it roll (do do do do do do) down the highway

So many miles since I last wrote here.

Last Friday I went to Turtleford for Mr. X's cousin's funeral. It was a cold, sad, infuriating funeral. It was a JW plug and nothing else. The speaker started his spiel by saying that W (the deceased) would not be referred to (in his speech) as one of Jehovah's witnesses because he had not made the commitment. He mentioned this several times. Oh, W had the chance to be a J-ho, but he didn't act on his chance and too bad, so sad for him. Good thing that all the good J-hos in the audience know the truth and too bad, so sad for the rest of us who don't. So, that was it. No eulogy for a wonderful young man who deserved so much more of a sendoff than that. Not a song, not a hymn, not a tear was shed. The man got up on the podium, gave his condemning speech, sat down, and that was the end of the service. Oh, I don't care that it was a JW plug, especially. I would have been just as horrified if it had been a Mennonite plug or anything else. The thing is, W wasn't JW. So, why honour his memory with something he didn't practise, or apparently, even support? It's been a week and I'm still kind of pissed. It was good to see W's parents though, and I'm glad I went nonetheless.

Anyway, Saturday I drove up near Flin Flon to finally see Mr. X's mine. It's about 6 hours each way and by 10am Sunday I was on my way home again. It was fun to go and see his workplace and meet a few more coworkers. I even drove one of the cooks home on Sunday and we had a nice visit. I drove right over a prairie chicken. Bam. Poor little bugger. There were 3 of them evenly spaced across the highway, so I had nowhere to go. I was going about 130 and I aimed and hoped for him to go under my car, because he obviously wasn't going to move. But that didn't work out so well for the chicken. I felt so mean. I told the cook, how sad that 3 chickens went out to search for food and only 2 were coming home. Wah. The cook said, "If Mr. X had hit the chicken, he would have stopped and picked it up for dinner." Always thinking, that man.

Mr. X is home now and tomorrow we're going to drive into Saskatoon for a snowmobile show. Yeah, we just bought a snowmobile, but now we need to see all the fun accessories so we can have something else to need. If nothing else, it will be fun to take a little road trip together, maybe have dinner. And hopefully hit a couple of stores so I can continue my search for the elusive perfect black boots.

And another thing. Something I just read reminded me of this, and we recently had this discussion at my office. There are basically 2 kinds of people in this world; those who want the best bed and those who want someone else to have the best bed. It all started because one of my co-workers was upset that one of her siblings took the best bed before she got there when they went to visit their parents. I said I would want my sister to have the best bed even if I did get there first. She called bullshit and said there is no way I would happily take the lesser bed. I said yes, indeed I would. And the discussion ensued. Of the 5 women at the table, there were 3 who would prefer to give up the better bed and 2 who would take the better bed if they got there first. Not that I'm right or she's wrong, but I would absolutely feel terrible if I knew my sister (or whomever the other guest might be) was sleeping uncomfortably while I was basking in pillows and fluff. Is it because I'm a younger child (in the list of children in my family, I mean) or because I'm a Virgo? Or because the other woman has a better sense of self-worth? Who knows. But I can now predict, with almost 100% certainty, who would chose the better (or lesser) bed when asked this question. Just different kinds of people. And the world, indeed, needs different kinds of people.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lao Lao said...

Awwww....I would want you to have the best bed too, Ruthiebeth! I can sleep anywhere, as has been proven many times...tee hee.
I think most of our sibs are of the 'you take the better one' group. For evidence, see Mom trying to give away Dad's belongings and money from the Olds.
Loved the "something else to need" line!
No doubt you'll have a good winter now that you're properly attired :-)

8:14 AM  
Blogger ruthieB said...

Hee! I love your comments, Sistah! You always make me smile. :)

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home