My Photo
Name:
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada

Blissfully married (second try - picked a younger, quirkier one this time), left-wing (but raised in Alberta so I lean a little to the right at times), somewhat opinionated (hah!) mom to two daughters, Mitchie and Nyckee, Ima to Chaeli and Carson.

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Happy Earth Day!!

This is actually a meaningful day to us this year. In the past few months we've readjusted our habits to make our footprints a little smaller when we leave this Earth, thanks in part to the desire for less trash, the discovery of big recycling bins (at last!) in our little city, a kick in the pants by good old Al Gore and the quiet inspiration of my niece in Calgary who has been environmentally conscious for as long as I can remember.

So far we've:
* changed to reusable cloth bags for our grocery shopping
* changed our most-used lights to CFL lights with the plan to change the rest as they burn out
* set up bins in our kitchen to collect anything that we can recycle
* set up a composter (just yesterday!) in our garden.

... small changes so far and we're probably still miles behind most of the civilized world, but we're always looking for new things we can do, like using vinegar and baking soda instead of Mr Clean, for example. We have a long way to go, but we're really having fun with this. I'm ridiculously excited about composting. I've been carefully following the rules, so it had better work! In any case, I'd rather have the kitchen gunk out there instead of in my garbage, so it seems I can't lose.

Mr X's passion for change kind of surprised me, but I'm so glad he's on board with this. It's my kids who, at first anyway, thought we were crazy. Hah.

Happy Earth Day!

2 Comments:

Blogger Lao Lao said...

Hey little Sis...I'm very impressed by all your environmental efforts. Recycling was one of the things I missed most when I moved to Clearwater. As it turns out, my Bill loooves gardening, so we're doing a veggie garden to go with all my flowers and shrubs this year.
I loved On the Beach too...but I think it was somewhat responsbile for my Gloom and Doom view of the world.
Have you seen the movie. Awesome! I love Susan Hayward.
Keep up the good writing! It keeps me up to speed on who you all are...Rene

7:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How exciting....I'm pumped about the move to Ottawa so we can have a yard and do some composting ourselves. I've never been one to want to try the composting worms that they recommend for apartments. Yuck! I'm interested to see how the composting goes for you and will probably be calling looking for tips when we start up with it in the summer! ;-)

Congrats on working towards reducing your footprint! I love it!!
~ Mandy

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home